The Melbourne Racing Club (MRC) is one of Australia's most prestigious Sports, Events and Property Development companies. As well as running elite horse racing at Caulfield, Ladbrokes Park (Sandown) and Mornington Racecourses, we own 15 pub venues under the Pegasus Leisure Group (PLG), an emerging collection of owned events such as The Peninsula Picnic and Whiskey, Wine and Fire and finally the MRC Foundation, our charitable arm.
Opportunity for a full time permanent Assistant Accountant to join the Finance Team based at Caulfield Racecourse! This role is responsible for delivering accurate and timely finance and accounting activities for the PLG Business unit of the Club, assisting with recurring management reporting and contributing to the budgeting process for our PLG venues.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of accruals and prepayment principles, bank reconciliations, accounting principles, general ledger account classifications and an understanding of accounts payable and receivable functions.
Duties of the Assistant Accountant
- Compile flash reporting and departmental profit and loss commentary on a regular basis
- Contribute to budget and forecasting processes
- Ensure timely and accurate reconciliation of responsible balance sheets on a monthly basis
- Review and post journal entries for departments
- Updating and summarizing invoice tracker
- Ensure Purchase Order compliance across responsible departments
- Monitor open Purchase Orders and liaise with stakeholders accordingly
- Prepare month end journal entries
- Prepare Business Activity Statements
- Attend venue stock takes and cash counts
Skills and Experience
- Working towards graduate and professional membership in either Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (CA) or CPA Australia (CPA) qualified accountant
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance
- 2 years+ commercial experience in accounting related roles
- Experience with use in accounting package software
- Strong numerical accuracy, efficient data entry ability, strong report writing skills and demonstrated initiative essential
- Experience with accounting within not for profit, sports or hospitality industry desirable
Melbourne Racing Club values differences in gender, age, ethnicity, race, cultural background, disability, religion and sexual orientations and encourages all suitable applicants to apply for this role.